It is of utmost importance that the person willing to donate blood be in a proper physical state, because otherwise the whole cause may be defeated.
The physicians follow certain guidelines regarding the physical examination of the prospective donor, they may be out lined thus...
Physical Examination Criteria for Blood Donation
- The donor should be in good general health
- Age : 18 - 60 years
- Weight : > 45 kg can donate 350 ml.
> 55 kg can donate 450 ml.
- Sex : Male or female
- Light meals before donation
( Blood Donations are not accepted from a fasting donor)
- Hb(Haemoglobin): > 12.5 g/dl
or Hct (Haematocrit): > 38 %
- BP : Systolic - 100 - 160 mm;
- Pulse : 60-90 beats per min., regular,good volume
- Temperature : not exceeding 37.5 deg. C.
- Ruleout : Lymphadenopathy
Respiratory / CVS( CardioVascular System) / Abdominal abnormalities
these criteria hold good in the event of the person being declared fit for blood donation on the basis of his medical history...